You are not alone. If you or someone
you know needs help, view resources.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Joyful Heart. We rely on the enthusiasm and generosity of our many supporters to be able to continue the work that we do to heal and empower survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence and child abuse.
As you may know, Joyful Heart is a relatively small organization. Additionally, in our direct work with survivors, we serve as a next response rather than a first response and, accordingly, don’t have a large “bricks and mortar” operation that affords us many opportunities to engage volunteers in-person like many shelters, hotlines and other frontline organizations do.
Those organizations and needs do exist. We are eager to harness the energy and support that prospective volunteers like you regularly offer to us. In the spirit of our core values of collaboration and community, we encourage you to support a local organization that addresses our issues in your area. We know that sexual assault, domestic violence and child abuse affect people across the country and we encourage you to reach out to an organization in your area with an offer of your time and talents while spreading awareness of Joyful Heart’s mission and work. We're all in this together.
There are many ways that you can volunteer your time, creativity and enthusiasm for Joyful Heart’s work, here are some recommendations.
Volunteer in Your Local Community in Honor of Joyful Heart
One of the most powerful things we can do as a community is support and affirm the work of others who are part of the wider movement to end violence against women and children. Please consider exploring the links below to find an organization near you that has volunteering opportunities. Feel free to let them know that Joyful Heart sent you! Once involved, you might also share information about Joyful Heart’s mission, or connect staff and other volunteers to resources and information on these issues.
- NOMORE.org has a web-based directory of opportunities to volunteer with organizations that are working to end domestic violence and sexual assault. Visit NOMORE.org's homepage and enter your details in the "STAY INFORMED" field.
- RAINN, the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, also has a volunteer opportunity database. Through their system, you can find local rape crisis centers in your area that are looking for additional support.
- Volunteer Match states its mission as bringing "good people and good causes together." If you're looking for a local opportunity to volunteer, their directory has thousands of positions listed. Set your location and check out the "Advocacy & Human Rights" and "Children & Youth" categories, or perform an advanced search using keywords that relate to the issues that interest you.
Become a Digital Advocate
Due to geography, time constraints and other factors, not everyone can physically volunteer with another organization. But we need your support in any of its limitless forms. Another option is to become what we call a “Digital Advocate” for Joyful Heart and our partners. What’s involved?
- Sign up for regular updates to stay informed
- Connect with us on social media to help raise awareness of our issues with those in your social networks
- Commit to sharing a blog article, website page or other link about Joyful Heart per week to friends and family
- Look out for online advocacy opportunities that we’re participating in
Donate Your Time and Talent to Raise Funds and Awareness
If you’re crafty or love hosting events, consider making products or holding a fundraiser or awareness event in honor of Joyful Heart or a local partner organization.